Traditional Chinese Medicine Therapy Can Help Slow PF Progression, Study Finds

Traditional Chinese Medicine Therapy Can Help Slow PF Progression, Study Finds

Pulmonary rehabilitation mixture (PRM), an herbal-based formula used for decades in Chinese traditional medicine, has therapeutic potential against pulmonary fibrosis (PF) progression by targeting several molecular factors known to be involved in fibrotic processes, concludes a new study.

The study, “Pharmacodynamic and pharmacokinetic assessment of pulmonary rehabilitation mixture for the treatment of pulmonary fibrosis,” appeared in the journal Scientific Reports.

PF is a life-threatening condition with few therapeutic possibilities. To date, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has approved only two: Ofev (nintedanib) and Esbriet (pirfenidone). Despite the positive effects these therapies can provide to patients, they do not cure the condition, and in more severe cases only a lung transplant can improve the patient’s quality of life.

In recent years, interest in Chinese herbal and natural recipes to treat several illnesses has soared. PRM, also known as Fei-Fu-Kang, has been used for decades to treat PF and lung cancer. It consists of eight herbs: Astragali Radix, Codonopsis Radix, Ophiopogonis Radix, Schisandrae Chinensis Fructus, Notoginseng Radix et Rhizoma, Fritillariae Thunbergii Bulbus, Anemarrhenae Rhizoma and Glycyrrhizae Radix et Rhizoma. These components have known anti-tumor activity and can stimulate an immune response, among other activities with pharmacological potential.

Previous studies in preclinical mice models of acute lung injury shows that PRM treatment alleviates signs of lung tissue swelling. With that in mind, researchers from China’s Binzhou Medical University wanted to address PRM’s potential effects and its underlying therapeutic mechanism of action in PF.

They found that ], in several experimental human cells line models, PRM attenuated both the epithelial-mesenchymal and endothelial-mesenchymal transitions —  two cellular mechanisms known to happen in PF development.

This positive effect wasn’t restricted only to in vitro experiments with cells. Researchers also showed that animal models of PF receiving PRM also showed reduced signs of fibrosis. In addition, the activity of PRM components was found to reduce the levels of FGF-2, PDGF-BB, TLR-4, HMGB1, and HIF-1α — all known participants in the underlying mechanisms of PF.

Authors concluded that the blood can absorb PRM’s chemical components after oral administration. This, combined with PRM’s demonstrated therapeutic potential to treat PF in vivo, supports its further testing as a multi-target therapy for pulmonary fibrosis.

20 comments

1. Ed says:

well when already?!…why do they need a clinical trial for PRM herbal remedy, if the Chinese have been taking it and using it for decades?!..why is there even a hold up for this to be approved if they have proven it to be working against I.P.F!?…why is there so much of a hold up when so many people are suffering and dying so much cause of this terrible disease?!…doesnt make sense at all! smh

• Tane says:

It’s NOT a drug. So, they (FDA/drug companies) can’t make any money off of it. The WEI institute has Soup A, Soup B and an LC Balancer that contains most of these herbs. Cost is about $1K per month. I’m on them, now and have been for almost a month. I’ve noticed a LOT less coughing, but nothing else. I had expected to be using less O2 by now. I still need my O2 most of the time to get around. But, I’m going to give it another month, unless I can find a Chinese Herbalist near where I live.

2. lexpublico says:

Pulmonary rehabilitation mixture (PRM) also known as Fei-Fu-Kang.

Fei Fu Kang is not a standard formula so you will have to find a well trained Chinese herbalist in your area to make it for you. Within the study the used the composition as follows: “Astragali Radix 14 (1200 g), Codonopsis Radix 13 (700 g), Ophiopogonis Radix 10 (480 g), Schisandrae Chinensis Fructus 11 (360 g), Notoginseng Radix et Rhizoma 9 (240 g), Fritillariae Thunbergii Bulbus 9 (240 g), Anemarrhenae Rhizoma 8 (240 g) and Glycyrrhizae Radix et Rhizoma 6 (120 g) were mixed and then extracted twice in 20 L of 50% ethanol for 24 h each time. The extracted solution was combined and evaporated to dryness under reduced pressure. Then, the crude extract was reconstituted with 10 L distilled water.”

I am looking for an herbalist now.

3. Sharon Azar says:

I have a lung condition (scarring on the left lung which was found via a regular chest xray). My doctor suspects this may possibly be pulmonary fibrosis. I am refusing the chest CT he is recommending due to the large amount of radiation delivered. I would like to find a good Chinese doctor here in NYC for diagnosis and treatment.

• Gil says:

Go get diagnosed ASAP! There is one of three ways to get diagnosed: CT, bronchoscopy or biopsy. CT is the least invasive. Start receiving Ofev to try and slow down your disease until some new drug is approved to treat IPF. I’m waiting for phase 3 of PRM-151 to begin, to try and enroll my grandpa who is very ill. I got this Chinese medicine for him, from a kind herbalist who agreed to help him, here in Israel, it seems to reduce his cough but not helping very much with breathing otherwise.
      This disease can exacerbate in as little as three weeks! Like in my grandpa’s case… do yourself a favour: start treatment ASAP

4. Steve says:

If you or someone you know has IPF/COPD and wants to learn more about Chinese medicine, there is a doctor in Tennessee who partners with the Wei institute and specializes in these conditions via telemedicine. Call (706) 581-3465 for a free phone consultation.