North Carolina Advances in Stem Cell Therapy for Lung Diseases Could Lead to Clinical Trial Soon

University of North Carolina Health Care researchers have made strides toward a stem cell treatment for lung diseases such as pulmonary fibrosis, COPD, and cystic fibrosis.

In fact, they are discussing the start of clinical trials with regulatory authorities.

The team discussed its work in two recent studies. One proved that it is possible to isolate lung stem cells with a relatively non-invasive procedure. The other showed that stem cells reduce fibrosis in rats with pulmonary fibrosis.

The first study, in the journal Respiratory Research, was titled “Derivation of therapeutic lung spheroid cells from minimally invasive transbronchial pulmonary biopsies.” The second, in Stem Cells Translational Medicine, was “Safety and Efficacy of Allogeneic Lung Spheroid Cells in a Mismatched Rat Model of Pulmonary Fibrosis.”

“This is the first time anyone has generated potentially therapeutic lung stem cells from minimally invasive biopsy specimens,” Dr. Jason Lobo, director of the university’s lung transplant and interstitial lung disease program, said in a press release. He was co-senior author of both studies.

“We think the properties of these cells make them potentially therapeutic for a wide range of lung fibrosis diseases,” added Dr. Ke Cheng, who led the studies with Lobo. He is an associate professor in North Carolina State University’s Department of Molecular Biomedical Sciences.

The research team had previously homed in on stem and support cells they could isolate from a lung tissue sample and grow in a lab. The tissue formed sphere-like structures in a lab dish, prompting the scientists to call them lung spheroid cells.

In 2015, the team showed that these cells had potent regenerative properties in animals with lung diseases. In fact, the stem cells they cultivated outperformed another type called mesenchymal stem cells.

Their latest project involved gathering lung spheroid cells from patients with various lung diseases. They used a procedure called a transbronchial biopsy that can be done in a doctor’s office.

“We snip tiny, seed-sized samples of airway tissue using a bronchoscope,” Lobo said. “This method involves far less risk to the patient than does a standard, chest-penetrating surgical biopsy of lung tissue.”

From this tiny piece of airway, researchers gathered stem cells, then allowed them to multiply — because stem cell treatments require infusions of millions of such cells.

When they injected the cells intravenously into mice, they discovered that most found their way into the animals’ lungs.

“These cells are from the lung, and so in a sense they’re happiest, so to speak, living and working in the lung,” Cheng said.

The team then tested the treatment in rats exposed to a chemical that triggers lung fibrosis. The lung spheroid cells gave rise to healthy lung cells, reducing both inflammation and fibrosis in the animals’ lungs.

“Also, the treatment was safe and effective whether the lung spheroid cells were derived from the recipient’s own lungs or from the lungs of an unrelated strain of rats,” Lobo said. “In other words, even if the donated stem cells were ‘foreign,’ they did not provoke a harmful immune reaction in the recipient animals, as transplanted tissue normally does.”

The researchers said that in humans their goal would be to use patients’ own stem cells to minimize the risk of immune reactions. But because large quantities of cells are needed, it might be necessary to gather cells from healthy volunteers or organ donation networks as well.

“Our vision is that we will eventually set up a universal cell donor bank,” Cheng said.

The team is in discussions with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration aimed at starting the first human study by year’s end. The first trial would include a small group of pulmonary fibrosis patients. The team also hopes their spheroid stem cell therapy will help patients with other lung diseases.

83 comments

1. Lisa Ann Balistrieri says:

Hi,
    I suffer from bronchiectasis that was caused by several years with NTM disease. Could this stem cell research benefit me?

• Gary J Foutz says:

Hello, My Name is Gary Foutz. I live at 5910 Dry Hollow Rd Salem Va.Phone 540-384-2689.
      My Pulmonary Dr at The Salem V.A.Hospital told me I have Pulmonary Fibrosis from possibly using a drug called Amiodarone for a heart palpitations and was on it a good while.
      I would be interested in a clinical trail that you may have soon.

2. Carolyn Schmidt says:

I too suffer from bronchiectasis – caused by many years of smoking and bronchitis infections. Have heard the Lung Institute in Tampa is doing stem cell research but my pulmonary said the therapy is not quite perfected. Will be anxious to hear more about this.

3. John Lee says:

My wife suffers from non-CF(cystic fibrosis) bronchiectasis.
    Will the stem-cell treatment reverse the scarring? thank you.

4. Magdalena Kegel, PhD says:

Many of you wonder how to go about to participate in the trial. At the moment, there is no information on who will be eligible for participation since the researchers are still discussing with regulatory authorities. Once that information becomes available, we will report it.

It is also difficult to speculate about the potential benefits in humans before a trial. Researchers hope that it will, at least, reduce scarring and fibrosis.

• Sam says:

God’s speed, on making this happen. Advancements for these millenniums old diseases is so very long over due. It’s time, passed time for these diseases to be in the forefront. Please don’t let the pharmaceutical companies buy you off, saving lives and a Nobel Prize is more admirable, and history making. Looking forward with hope in you!!!

• jeanette Atwell says:

I look forward to the feasibility of possibly getting in a clinical study for my COPD, very keen to be accepted in a Stem Cell Therapy Trial,
      Sincerely,
      Jeanette Atwell- 352-613-7276

• Jeanette Atwell says:

I am very interested in being a part of the clinical study, as I could not afford the price of Stem Cell Therapy offered in Florida at different clinics. I have participated for a period of 12 months in a clinical study involving medicine for COPD. It was very beneficial !!
      Sincerely,
      Jeanette Atwell

5. Susan Heckman says:

Watching this with interest from Durham, NC. My focus is women with the rare disease, LAM (Lymphangioleiomyomatosis). Many of us with LAM take mTOR inhibitors (Rapamycin, Everolimus)to slow progression. Thanks for the article Dr Kegel! Best Wishes to UNC for getting this study funded and running!

6. Annette Baker says:

My 82 yr old husband was diagnosed with IPF in April 2009 by our local pulmonologist, which was confirmed by
    Dr Keith Mayer, UW Hospital, Madison, WI. He was given 28 yrs – 2 yrs. However, he continues to play regularly with a 16 pc swing band, a 12 pc church band & another smaller church band. He also makes/paints tin soldiers & dioramas up to 10 hrs a day. I believe his expiration date needs to be revised. Would he qualify for your next IPF research study?

• Magdalena Kegel, PhD says:

Hi Michael,
      I don’t have any information on the potential to treat PAH, unfortunately. But the research is still in an early stage. We will report on any updates as they become available.

7. Christine garlock says:

I have ipf an interested in the nc drug trial when it is open. Will this site be keeping up to date on the latest info coming out?

• Magdalena Kegel, PhD says:

Hi, Christine and others wondering about the coming trial.

When researchers release more information about this project we will be sure to report on it.

• I do not know if you can help or not. I am seeing a lot of people writing on here about the lung institute and their stem cell treatment. From people that have gone this place is a sham just to make money. I would hate for people to give up their savings for these places. My first clue in a place is if they are cash only. It seems to me if they were accredited then they would talke insurance. How can we help people from contacts these places?

8. Mark Thompson says:

I have very severe COPD and wonder why a clinical trial is not offered for this. COPD is the 3rd leading cause of death in the US so I feel this should be a priority for stem cell clinical trials. That being said I would be very interested in participating in any stem cell clinical trials for COPD.

9. Jim Sandford says:

I would be interested in participating in this clinical trial. I am 65 with emphysema, smoked for 30+ years but quit 17 years ago.

10. Ronald C. MacNeil says:

I am an active 77 year old male diagnosed with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis in September 2017. In early July 2017 I was walking approximately one mile with no oxygen and with very little effort. On September 15, 2017 I was not able to was not able to walk short distances with cotinuous flow oxygen set at 8 lpm and was unable to keep my oxygen level above 88. I would be willing to travel anywhere on the east coast to participate in a clinical trial for my condition.

11. Kenneth Prater says:

Age 71,Level 4 COPD/AFIB on occasion. I have the PulmonX Zephyr Valve implants 2 ea in ULL. One failed causing pneumothorax which healed and the valve was replaced several weeks later. Continue to work thru Pulmonary rehab. The Medical Group was UC DAVIS Pulmonary Critical Care in Sacramento,California. Attending physician Dr. Brian M. Morrissey,MD and Dr. Ken Y. Yoneda,M.D. Have had communication with Dr. Wei Zuo,Shanghai East Hospital Shanghai,China about stem cell research study.He has asked if I’m ready to come to China. I believe a great deal of discovery and benefit is coming soon with respect to rare ciliated epithelial cells and Lung Stem/Progenitor Cells for the Autologous Lung Stem Cell Transplantation in Patients with ILD. Love to be a part of it. What it does not do for me may surely help someone else. Thats the bottom line. Move to NC,sure why not.
    Sincerely
    Ken Prater

12. Kenneth Prater says:

Hello everyone Ken here, I have been told that due to the extent of my lung disease COPD hay LVR and Transplants are not possible. With LVR can they just remove small areas of the diseased lung through bronchoscope procedures in order to better facilitate a healthier portion of the lung to expand and work more proficiently. I understand that removing partitions of the lung that traps co2 air that can not be exhaled could be relieved very slowly like the squeezing of the neck of a inflated ballon with out the risk of pneumothorax and even if it did occur there are powders and sealants that can be used to stop the air leaks. I’m I nuts or just to far advanced in medicine theory. Thank for the responses.
    Ken

• Mark Thompson says:

Ken I live in Wisconsin and have seen several doctors on LVR and lung transplants. The LVR can be done when emphysema has created large areas of damage. Then they can take and cut out a portion of the lungs. This then allows the good section of the lung to expand to it’s full potential. With the damaged portion in there air is trapped in the areas with emphysema which creates an over inflation of the lungs. So when you try to breath the good portion cannot expand fully. I was told that the damage to my lungs is kind of spread through out so the LVR is not an option for me. I was told they generally look for large areas of damage in the upper lobes and then remove the upper lobes of the lungs. As far as transplants go I think you would have to be really bad for them not to be able to do one. Of course there are many other things that could prevent it also. When they do the evaluation for a lung transplant they pretty much check every part of your body to make sure all systems are working properly. Your heart, bone density, dental, sinus scan, ct scan, colonoscopy and many other tests. If any of those are not up to par then they probably will not do it. I just talked to woman though that had one done at Jewish Barnes Hospital. Her pulmonary function test before the surgery was 16% of predicted. Her son had to carry her oxygen bottle when she walked so she was pretty bad. However she said they had her do a walk on the treadmill and said she needed to be able to walk for 30 minutes. It did not matter at what speed or how much oxygen she needed just needed to complete the 30 minutes. I don’t know how bad you are but if you are close to what she was or even a little bit worse it still may be possible. I would check with different hospitals that do lung transplants and see. A second opinion is always good. I went to UW Health in Madison WI and was seen by one of there pulmonologists for an initial evaluation. That is when my PFT came back at 16% and they were willing to do the rest of the evaluation so apparently I was not too bad for them to continue. I was reluctant to do it because I don’t like the survival rates and you can’t just get approved for the list and then turn them down if a lung becomes available or they will probably take you off the list. Also once they do the full evaluation they like to put you on the list right away because if you wait they may have to do some of the tests again. My suggestion is that if you are sure you would like to do a transplant then check around and see what different places say. You could even call Jewish Barnes Hospital. That lady that I talked to said she went there because she read that they were one of the best and did a lot of lung transplants. After 6 months she is doing great and her last PFT was 108%. I hope this info helps you and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. If you want you can call me 920 527 9496.

• Sam says:

You are not too far advanced. For anyone who’s had any biology classes. I have had many. These diseases should have been either more advanced or cured. The ball was dropped due to too many thinking it’s just smokers, now I think they are finally seeing…that’s not it, it doesn’t help, nor does pollution, chemicals…bleach for one. The time has come to move on lung disease and advancements and cures. It seems alot of research (I’m not saying this one), has been repeated and repeated…it’s the plain and simple greed of the pharmaceutical industry that keeps people ill. I think the pharma bro proved that fact. Take good care.

13. Gary J Foutz says:

I would like so much to be a study for this. The Dr. at the V.A. Medical Center said I had pulmonary fibrosis. I know we all have to die one day but I was really hoping to at least see my 2 Grand Children be teenagers. I have seen people die with C.O.P.D and it isn’t a present thing to see someone trying to get air to breath. I would appreciate the Opportunity to at least try. Thank You

14. Kenneth Prater says:

Mark Thompson, from Ken Prater
    Thanks for the input. I have been shut down by all except Europe for any surgery. My lungs at less than 20%. Probable should not even be able to go shopping,do exercise or anything. But I do a lot including driving, walk a mile a day and lift weights. The risk for me is under sedation my chance of coming off are next to none. That why they can not ventilate me in an emergency. Why directives are if not breathing and no heart rate don’t do anything just leave me alone. If a must be comes up, just make me comfortable until the lights go out, but no heroics of any kind. At this stage I going to move back to Washington to sea level were I can breath much easier for a little longer. We will move in December when the son and wife graduate from the university with their degrees and move on to their Master (PHD). I just want to live lone enough to see them walk down the isle. This is one big reason I would take a chance anywhere to participate in stem cell research. If if works for me great, if not made the next person will have a better chance of success. We all share each other griff with this disease and without each other to lean on all hope could be lost. Love to you all,Live well for today as tomorrow is not here yet and yesterday is gone.
    Kenny P.

• Mark Thompson says:

Kenneth when you have a lung transplant done they put you on a heart and lung machine that keeps you alive while they install the new lungs so the risk I don’t think is due to only 20% lung function. As I said that lady I talked to went to Jewish Barnes hospital and her lung function was only 16%. It sounds like you are like me I keep exercising with weights and walking about 5 times a week. I think that keeps us going. If I were you and you seriously want to get this done then call Jewish Barnes Hospital and go get an initial consultation. That lady that I talked to had to have her son carry her oxygen bottle when she walked or went shopping and stuff. If she was that bad you should be alright to have one done. Thoughts and prayers to you.
      Mark

• Kenneth Prater says:

Hi Mark
        Yes you are correct, but there in lies the problem. I can not or rather they will not put me on the heart/lung machine or intubate me in any former as I will not be able to recover from it. My age 71 and the destruction in my lungs do not make me a good candidate for transplant or LVR surges. This is a standard in the USA but not in Europe. I can’t fly there/no auto roads for driving there,a boat takes to long and I really just don’t have that kind of money to get there. All I can say for most of us is the FDA needs to get off their butts and start approving new trials and allowing new technology to be used now. It’s not the Pharm. big bros. and profits its our own slow stupidity to get into the thought process of saving lives and or extending them at any cost. For God sakes we are America,we should be leading the parade here not some foreign entity. So my last FEV1 was at 11% not so promising 09/20/2017. Oh I have call Jewish Barnes and they said sorry but it just not going to happen. To many risks for me and they really need those lungs for people who will tolerate the surgery. I also know the lungs transplants are good for about 5 years. Really good to hear back from you. Keep up the great communications as I need it and so do a lot of others.
        Sincerely in Love with LIFE
        Kenny P.

• Mark Thompson says:

Kenneth I did not know you were 71 years old. I was told the cut off age was 65 so I can see where your problem lies. I agree the researchers need to get off their butts and do something. We need stem cell trials for COPD. It just seems like they are dragging their feet. I know I have heard the survival rates for lung transplant are not that good. 5 years is a little over 50% and the 10 year is about 33%. However the lady that I talked to had one 7 months ago and said she was on 2 different transplant support groups. She said she heard of a lot of people that live 10, 15 and 20 years. I am looking into it more because I am sick of not being able to do things that I like to do. I still try and do them but have to stop and rest so often it just sucks. I am 59 years old and can’t take care of my wife and daughter. That really weighs on me sometimes but luckily they support and help me. I am blessed to have them and my brother and his family to help out with things, but it still sucks. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers my friend. If I hear of any new developments I will post them. God bless you my friend I will include you in my prayer group.

15. Douglas Lowe says:

Only sixty years old and had to retire from street maintenance job. It has been a year and 3 months but really have to struggle to do anything physical , very short of breath
    Diagnosed with emphysema five years ago, quit smoking soon as I found out, obviously too late.
    I certainly would be grateful to be involved in any experiment that would improve my breathing and get me back to work .

16. Kenneth Prater says:

Hi Mark
    I really liked your post. You and I both and I’m sure there are others that are very heavily burden with the fact that they are no longer the leader of the pack and can’t keep up with the same support and protection you did at a much healthier age for your family. Guess what, your family does not expect you to. What they expect is for you to do what ever you have to and never give up the faith and search for some thread and hope for a remission and (ok I’ll go there CURE) for this crap. But in the mean time love your family and friends everyday and tell yourself and believe it just how luck we are to have them at our side to fight along with us. This site has really turned into something great and I hope UNC sees it as a vast resource of very special and resourceful site for any studies they acquire and take the names from this list first as consideration for the trials. Hay UNC are you reading this great stuff? Yes of course you are. Someday Mark it would be nice to sit down with you and your family along with mine and just get a chance to meet such good people. Oh just for giggles, my local bike shop made a carrier for my small D tanks and (crap) special training wheels so I don’t fall over but at least I can still ride my mountain bike on level ground. On a good day and I mean a real good day I can usually get 5-6 miles of riding in. People look,laugh and go good for you. Keep in touch my friend as I would be most interested in what directions you go in and I will share all my research and any new developments from the pulmonary people at UC DAVIS and PulmonX about my progress and new studies with the Zephyr Valve .
    Best Wishes Always
    Ken and Family

• Mark Thompson says:

Thanks Ken I do have a great family that supports and helps me. What is this valve that you are talking about. I have heard of valves but didn’t think they had good results. I have heard that LVRC’s (lung volume reduction coils) are presently at the FDA for approval. I read that somewhere but can’t remember where. Have you heard of these? If they get approved they may be a possibility. God bless you and your family.
      Mark

• Ken Prater says:

Hi Mark
        You are correct about the lung coils by PneumRx Coils. The valve can be found at PulmonX Zephyr valves out of Redwood City California. When you see the web sit you can see what they are and how they work. They are actually called EBV Endobronchial Valve I have 2 ea. in my upper left lobe of my lung. This site was chosen because it was the most beneficial placement for them. However they did not come without a cost to me physically. One leaked to much air to fast and collapsed my lung. After the drain tubes and the healing process a few weeks we went back in and put the valve back in it’s original location. So far no problems. Yes the valves have worked for me especially at sea level. The valve have also been presented to the FDA for approval. When they get or if they do get approved a lot of the COPD community will benefit from them. They implants took all of about 5-6 mins. to do once all the prep work was done. Would I do more –Oh hell yes in a lung beat. A little pun there. Anyway there was no pain just the crappy numbing stuff prior to the bronchoscope which is how they place them. The study is 5 years long. At any time they can come out, be replaced with new ones or if the study requires additional valves it is done all at no cost to the study patient. If you could find a study and you can qualify, I say go for. If they the coils or valves do get approved, your insurance will not pay for any of it for now. Just a rough guess..5-7 days hospital, surgical staff,study sponsor, and misc. cost about $40,000.00 per implant. Oh, we are moving back to Washington State in May 2018 sea level 0. I have started communication with the University of Washington Pulmonary Critical Care for my follow up and lung care as its going to be hard to come back down to UC DAVIS 1-2 time a year, but if that is what it take ok. I would be very happy to see all my friends at UC DAVIS. I’m waiting to hear about the UNC research and potential approval to do human studies on Stem Cells. Heck I would move to North Carolina just for that. Well good to hear from you. Our thoughts are in our minds and hearts for you all.
        Best Wishes
        Kenny P.

17. Kenneth Prater says:

Magdalena Kagel,PHd
    Dear Magdalena
    Can you believe what a response you have generated from the first release of information about the possibilities of getting approval to do a Stem Cell Study Program. Your group has unleashed a huge response to the potential opportunities for so many people desperate for relief and life sustaining treatment. We all hope you get the approval for the study as this is the state of the art treatment potential in the USA. Thank you from all of us and we wish you and your group success as it could mean so much to so many. Love this sites many good people posting and talking.
    Thank you and the UNC for leading the way as you are the ray of hope for millions. (no Pressure there)
    Best Wishes from all who have posted here.
    Kenny Prater

• Magdalena Kegel, PhD says:

Hi Kenny,
      I am not involved in this research. I am only a reporter that shared the information with the readers of Lung Disease News, but I am happy that I could share such important news. As we realize the huge interest in the study and the importance of it for patients, we at Lung Disease News are waiting for further information about this trial, which we will make sure to share as soon as it comes along.

• Kenneth Prater says:

Thank you for your response. I know a lot of us are looking and waiting to see what happens. Do you have any other news to share with the COPD community about new treatments, studies and any breaking news from the The Lung Disease News. I would like to know how to subscribe to The Lung Disease News,so if you could be so kind as to provide that information it would be appreciated. Is it in a language the lay person can read and understand? A lot of articles are so over the heads of the COPD community that it does not serve as a good source. Again it’s good to see your involvement as we the COPD community need a voice that can reach out along sides our own asking questions and seeking answers to how do we continue to struggle with so little hope as the FDA and other government agency stagger and drag their feet. We really need help and if we could only combine the talents in the USA with those abroad and bring this under a single roof for development and human clinical trials, I believe that the Stem Cell studies would progress so much faster as would the attempts to induce the results into life changing treatment and medications we are all waiting for today.
        Sincerely
        Kenny P.

18. a says:

Magdalena, I sorry but the answer to my request for the address is in the very beginning . I think that everyone on this post should sign up as it has a ton of really good stuff for the COPD community and for all of you in rehab…ask questions and share with the others as there is a great wealth of information there. We are here to seek life, not the end so get all your questions answered and go to as many resources you can, Just don’t quit, it is hard but believe in yourself and your family and friends. They are there for you and you are there for you.
    Kenny P.

19. t.d. tucker says:

The Lung Institute is a SCAM.
    Please do some honest research.
    Many have spent their life savings on these CROOKS. No regulation here at all.

20. Ken Prater says:

Dear T.D. Tucker
    I don’t believe anyone has suggested or related to going to the Lung Institute,so I don’t understand your comment on do some honest research. Perhaps I’m just not understanding your statement or is this just good general advice for all readers.
    Thank
    Ken

• Mark Thompson says:

Ken,
      I researched that facility and they have a lot of videos of patient testimonials that sound good. My thought was I wonder how scripted the interviews are, so I am skeptical of them. I have also seen negative reports about them online. I just did some research on another company that is doing basically the same stem cell therapy as the Lung Institute. This one is called StemGenex. They all do pretty much the same thing. They can take stem cells from your bone marrow, from a birth mothers placenta or from your fat tissue. The bone marrow and fat tissue are preferable because no chance of rejection. When using the fat tissue I think they are called Adipose stem cells and they usually use this because stem cells are much more plentiful here than in the bone marrow. After they do the mini lipo suction the dormant stem cells are isolated from the fat and then reintroduced to the patient through and IV or for COPD they do a second treatment with the stem cells in a nebulized solution. So far StemGenex is the only one that I have found that has a clinical trial registered with the (NIH) US National Library of Medicine. I think they started in 2015 and will be done in February of 2018 and results to be posted shortly there after. I think there were 75 participants that paid for their own treatment. The procedure is $13,500.00 and they are located in La Jolla CA. Of course this procedure is not covered by any insurance but if it proves to be a success it would be worth the money. I can’t wait to see the results. Here is a link for the clincal trial and their website in case anyone wants to keep track of what is going on with the trial. https://stemgenex.com/ https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02348060?term=stemgenex&rank=4

Just offering info so you can make your own informed decision. Hopefully by the end of February they will have the results posted and we can all see how well it works. Prayers for good results so that many people that suffer from this can be helped.
      God bless.
      Mark

• Ken Prater says:

Hi Mark
        Please beware of any clinical trial that asked for you to pay for it. Its not real. There are several clinical trial on the clinical trial.gov site but they are not all approved by anyone. Anyone can post to the web site, it the patient that has to be very careful and alert to these artist, even the ones over seas. The problem with these stem cell is it takes a huge amount and they do not live for very long that being the reason for the repeated treatments. Oh YA the extra treatment you will pay for those as well. Check with the FDA for approval. Ask for their published papers on their studies.

21. Gary J Foutz says:

The Lung Institute told me they do not except medicare or the V.A.They told me also I should get a fund together on the internet to pay for the treatment. I told them I was not going to have anyone giving me money to pay my bills. So what I got out of that was hell with Vets and People on Medicare just people who has money is the one’s who benefit.

• Mark Thompson says:

Gary the treatment is not an approved FDA procedure so no insurance companies will cover it. There are no stem cell therapies out there for COPD that are approved by the FDA and all of the places that offer them have the same payment policies. The only thing you could check into is some of them take Care Credit and may have special financing for a certain amount of time. I don’t think it has anything to do with Vets or Medicare it is just not a procedure that is covered by any type of insurance. Also that is true if you don’t have the money or don’t want to get any funding then your out of luck. We do have one here in Appleton Wisconsin that will take you if you are indigent but the waiting list is about 2 years. Here is the link to that one if you are interested. http://www.optimalhealthstemcell.com/
      Good luck. Thoughts and prayers for you.
      Mark

22. Ken Prater says:

Anyone that is looking into stem cell therapy….Please be very careful as most will rip you off knowing just how desperate you are to breath and live. Stay away from these NONE FDA approved (Puppy Mills for adults) clinics. If you are serious keep informed with the links and leads provided on this web page posted by Magdalena Kegel Phd. stay in touch with all the teaching universities and those that are in request for funding for clinical trial thru the us govt.Keep bugging them as you have nothing to lose but everything to gain. The clinical trial are FREE FREE FREE and cost you NOTHING if you can get into one. Most are several years of follow up and all follow up care and emergency care related to the study are FREE. Please for Gods sake don’t let these worms get into your pockets. If it sounds to good its BS>>>>>. Sign up for the Lung Disease News. Im very desperate for breathing and life but I refuse to jump in bed with any of these morons either here in the USA or even any over seas advertisers. Been there and done that off the references from the govt. clinical trials.. Keep up your post and someday one of us is going to hit the jack pot for everyone in the COPD Community.
    Love you all
    Kenny P.

23. Ken Prater says:

Hi everybody
    I hope anyone who is think about stem cell therapy reads the follow. This is critical and vital information for you in your knowledge and decision bank.
    FDA … http://www.fda.gov/for consumers/consumer updates. FDA WARNS ABOUT STEM CELL CLAIMS
    Kenny P.

• Mark Thompson says:

I can’t find any clinical trials using stem cells for COPD therapy. I find plenty for different medications for COPD. These research companies only want to satisfy the Big Pharm. The only one that I saw starting a clinical trial from a research company is the one in North Carolina and that is for pulmonary fibrosis only and not COPD. If anyone knows of any companies or Universities doing research on stem cell therapy for COPD please let me know as I will contact them about getting clinical trials going. Thanks.
      Mark

• Ken Prater says:

Mark, go to the very top of this page and you will see that the University of North Carolina is ,has approached the FDA for approval to do Stem Cell Studies Clinically. That are awaiting the response to their request. Please start at the top of this page and read ( North Carolina Advances in Stem Cell Therapy Lung Diseases could lead to clinical trials Soon) Clinical Trials discussing the start of clinical trials with regulatory authorities has been confronted. The study for Pulmonary Fibrosis, COPD and Cystic Fibrosis. Also read the post by: Magdalena Kegel,Phd- Aug.29,2017 at the upper portion of this page. This should give you an indication as to whats up and they will let everyone know if and when it is a reality or not at NCU. Mark you have already made a very important contact by just posting to this page. You can always contact Magdalena but remember she is not involved directly with the study, she is a reporter for the Lung Diseases News. Thats another reason to sign up with them for any local or national news on Clinical Studies any where in the US. If it goes down she will be hot to post for all.
        Bless the COPD Community and the professionals that are trying like hell to save our lives or give us a better quality of life. Once I figure how to put it in words on my next post,I like to address the Government,The President,the Statement and Stateswomen, Governors,The Medical Board,The FDA and reach out to them to see what they can do and how much clout they have to bring our country and foreign countries under the same umbrella for research and development to attack this Disease. This is a responsibility all of share and should participate in with each other, our families and with all our hearts.
        Love to you all
        Kenny P.

• Mark Thompson says:

Ken,
          I emailed the director of that study his name is Jason Lobo and they are not doing anything with COPD. His expertise is in the Pulmonary fibrosis area so they will only be taking patients with that lung disease. I asked if he knew any places doing research similar to his for COPD and he said none that he knew of. So that one is a dead end for COPD candidates. Hopefully results from that will show benefits and then maybe they can also adapt it for COPD.
          Mark

• Ken Prater says:

Hi Mark
            Yes I agree with his statement so as far as I see it Im going to place my life bets on these type of researches and institutions that are credible and have FDA approval or try to see what on the other side of the world that is for real and see how to get there. I still feel its going to happen here, maybe just not for some of us. Got keep the faith.
            Kenny P.

• Mark Thompson says:

Ken, I praise the Lord every day and thank him for the strength and perseverance. I also pray for healing everyday for me, you and many other people I know that are having health problems. God bless you.
            Thoughts and prayers.
            Mark

24. Nancy Butler says:

I am 68 years young and discovered two years ago I have COPD. I had to have a 7 disk fusion and a lamenectomy. Due to my age I had to have preliminary testing to determine if I was a surgical candidate which is when the COPS was discovered. I was classified moderate risk at that time. Since I have experienced a rapid deterioration in my abilities to do simple tasks such as carrying groceries, walking any distances. Any activities seem to elevate my heart rate and create shortness of breath. My family doctor has me on Breo but that is it for now. I did end up with pneumonia last year and was on oxygen for a short time but was discontinued. Since then my condition has worsened however I have been silent about it so as not to worry my family. I blame my current limitations on the pain I experience since back surgery. I secretly monitor my pulse/ox and try to exercise my lungs as much as possible and of course read everything I can so I can understand what I am experiencing and what to expect. I thank you all so much for sharing your stories and information as it helps me to feel less alone as I gave my eventual demise. God bless all of you.

25. I would love to be put on the list for whatever I have copd and would love to get a transplant or cell stems or what ever to help me I hate the feeling I get of suficating it’s horrible I’m on oxygen 24/7 and hate that to so please put me on all the list avaliabe

• Mark Thompson says:

Annette I agree I hate that feeling too. I was always very active building something either a radio controlled airplane or something around the house but since having to retire in June of 2015 doing that stuff really is hard. If I do decide to work on things it takes me 10 times longer to do them with many stops to catch my breath. I still do those things because I am not giving up those things that I enjoy. I usually don’t use my oxygen when doing work because it gets in the way and makes me more short of breath because I have to carry the oxygen around. So, I go without and stop and rest often. For you concerning lung transplant and stem cell therapy, I have found no clinical trials with stem cells for COPD. There is the one in South Carolina that will be starting soon but I contacted the director of that project and they are only doing things with Pulmonary Fibrosis because he has no experience with COPD. As for lung transplants if you are interested in one you need to contact a hospital near you that does lung transplants. There are no clinical trials for that as it has been a proven and FDA approved procedure. After you contact a hospital that does them, they will do an extensive health evaluation to see if you qualify to be put on the transplant list. I think there is a cut off age of 65. Once you are on the list they decide who gets the next set of lungs based on who is in the most need not who was on the list first. So if you are interested in getting a lung transplant do a search on the internet for places near you that do lung transplants and then get an appointment for an initial evaluation. They will then go over the procedure and answer questions before doing the extensive evaluation. I know Jewish Barnes Hospital does a lot of lung transplants and are very good. Where ever you plan on having it done plan on being close to the for 3 months after the surgery so they can monitor you and get your medications adjusted. I hope this helps a little.
      Mark

• jeanette Atwell says:

Hello Mr. Foutz,
          I am very anxious to find a stem cell clinical study as I cannot afford the approximate $14,000 mol from the Lung Institute
          Sincerely,
          Jeanette Atwell- COPD sufferer

• Mark Thompson says:

Oops, I meant that North Carolina’s trials that will start soon and are only for Pulminary Fibrosis and will not take applicants for COPD. Dr Jason Lobo is the director and his specialty is in fibrosis and not COPD that is why he is only having trials for Pulmonary Fibrosis. I wish someone would start clinical trials for COPD. What the heck are they waiting for?
        Mark

26. I am so amazed and grateful for the technology that allows people like me to experience a better quality of life. I don’t know if this is the place to request to be in the clinical trials, but I would be very grateful and willing to be a part of it. If this is not the place for it, I would be very appreciative if you could direct me to where I should apply. Thank you so much.

• Magdalena Kegel, PhD says:

Hi Colleen,
      The trial has not yet started and I currently have no more information. We will report any new information as it becomes available.

27. Peter Kiner says:

I have stage 4 copd andwould be interested in your trials. If you have any more information you can pass along it would be helpful. Thank you

• Magdalena Kegel, PhD says:

Hi Peter,
      The trial has not yet started and I currently have no more information. I am only a reporter writing about it. We will report any new information as it becomes available.